Sunday, May 6, 2007

Stumble It! - Del.icio.us - Digg - Technorati - Blinklist - Furl - Reddit!

Children's Books by Barbara Berger


I am a bookaholic and spent lots of time in stores when my kids were young, trying to find books that touched me and that I would be willing to read over and over. To tell the truth, I look from time to time in bookstores these days I am not finding anything that matches what was around when my kids were little.

Barbara Berger never disappointed. All her books were among my kids' favorites. The texts are gentle, like a breath of soft air. The illustrations glow.

These are some of the ones we have:

Grandfather Twilight, above, is the story of a kind man who takes one pearl from a string every evening and walks through a magical forest to the sea, the pearl growing with every step.





When the Sun Rose is a sweet story of imaginary friends who meet in a secret playhouse.











Gwinna is a book for older kids and talks about transformation and being proud of who you are.







The Donkey's Dream is a beautiful retelling of the Nativity.






And Animalia is an exquisite book for kids mid-aged. It has a number of one page vingettes on the special magical relationship that is possible between humans and animals. This was one of Morgan's all time favorites and one she still refers to today.

All images from Barbara Helen Berger's site.
They can be purchased from Amazon.


2 comments:

I AM ANOTHER said...

I had all of these books, except Gwinna for my children. In fact, I still have them for my grandchildren.

Pamm said...

She is definitely one of my favorite kids' books authors. Top 2.