Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Stumble It! - Del.icio.us - Digg - Technorati - Blinklist - Furl - Reddit!

Scariest Movie I've Ever Seen

If done tastefully and with some sort of deeper thinking involved, I love a good scary movie from time to time. "Jurassic Park" made me think about science. "28 Days Later" was an amazing film. I love the old Hitchcock thrillers.

This movie, however, was, by far, the most frightening movie I have ever seen.

I fancy myself an extremely respectful person in regards to people's choices about their religion and spiritual paths. In fact, spirituality is such an important subject to me that I got my BA in Religious Studies. Even though none of these are my personal spiritual path, I have respect for Muslims, Pagans, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Voudoins, Wiccans. My basic motto with religious choice is: "The flowers on the petal are many, but the flower is one."

From the movie's homepage:

"A growing number of Evangelical Christians believe there is a revival underway in America that requires Christian youth to assume leadership roles in advocating the cause of their religious movement.

"Jesus Camp" follows a group of young children to Pastor Becky Fischer's "Kids on Fire Summer Camp," where kids are taught to become dedicated Christian soldiers in God's army and are schooled in how to take back America for Christ. The film is a first-ever look into an intense training that recruits born again Christian children to become an active part of America's political future."

Although I couldn't find a picture of it, the first thing that froze me in my seat, took my breath away was the opening scene. It was of a "recruiting" introductory workshop. The scene was of a bunch of kids dressed like an army, twirling these baton things and marching/dancing to a song for Jesus.

The second huge red flag went up when Becky said something to the effect of: "Look at the Muslims. They train their kids starting when they are really small to be willing to die for Allah. I want to create kids that are willing to die for Jesus."

Becky is very clear about and honest with her intent to brainwash these kids. She uses tried and true, "scientifically proven" techniques to do so, taking them step by step to her cause. She justifies it by saying that all kids are brainwashed and why shouldn't she (with the god's and the parent's consent, of course) brainwash them this way?

Third terror alert (code red) amidst many mini previous ones as we followed a number of kids home then to camp? When the kids finally get there, their first session reminded me of watching footing from Hitler's Germany. The whole thing (or what was presented on film, anyway) was to instill in the kids how "bad" they are, how sinful. Kids..little kids were crying, sobbing in shame, many of them with their heads in their arms, not willing to be seen. Yup, break their psyches down with pain and shame, then give them a way out through you. I kept wondering if Becky trained by the CIA. She's that good at what she does.

These kids are committed. They feel they are messengers for God, here to spread his word, given a mandate because God brought them George Bush and it's time for them to step up to the plate and do "their part." I laughed at one scene. One young girl, who kind of struck me as a bit unbalanced, tried to convert someone at a bowling alley. The woman actually listened to her. I would have politely told her that I was not interested as I always do with any sales person. Just because it's a kid doesn't mean I have to reinforce rude behavior trying to sell me something so personal and which I neither asked for nor want. I don't accept phone solicitations or door to door sales people...so why would I listen?

Throughout the whole thing, I kept wondering what would happen if the Christian right found out about a camp for Gay kids. I wondered what would happen to a Pagan kid camp. Would they stand outside the camp and try to shut it down? Would they file complaints?

On their way back home after their training, they got to stop at one of their personal Christian rock star's church. It was, obviously, filmed before Mr. Haggard's publicity "challenge."

Let me state catagorically that I feel terribly for the man. We all learn our lessons in life and I feel incredibly sorry for anyone that has to have that level of hypocrisy shoved in their faces and go through the anguish I can imagine he went through. For me, though, their adventure with him was such a metaphor for all that I heard throughout the film: God gave us GW Bush; there is no such thing as Global Warming..it's just a plot by the liberals to shift the issue off abortion; there is no such thing as evolution; the Bible is THE word of God (like he dictated it directly to the printing house). I can find no truth in any of those statements or in what Ted Haggard projected himself to be. It's utterly fascinating to me to try and understand why people hold onto things that from my perspective are so clearly untrue....and that they hold so tenaciously, struggle and grasp, even when faced with that which they have been clinging to has been proven false.
Ecstatic spiritual experience is an amazing feeling. I know. Kids are so open to all of those kinds of emotions, have very few walls once they have been convinced of the rightness of their cause. They have very little interference with past history and a possess a truly trusting nature. My observation has been that when kids are subjected to this kind of treatment when young, they do one of two things. They stay there or they start to wake up, take notice of a few of the hypocrisies, feel lied to and rebel. As I watched these kids, I was fascinated, wondering where they would be in ten or fifteen years.

I support the right to religious freedoms. But that doesn't mean I don't see some that frighten me and make me so happy to be who I am. One of the things that I really appreciated about the film is that they had other Christians critiquing this movement. Along side the story line of the camp, they had a critical Christian radio personality who was airing a show that they would go back to a number of times during the movie. Any critique that will be effective and heard needs to come from within Christianity itself. If not, it will only be dismissed.

Because, you see, they really won't listen to someone like me.

My God doesn't want or need an army, especially one of children.

He doesn't feel the need to shame and instill fear into little children so they follow him. He's more confident of himself than that.

My God's about Love.

Images from the movie taken from here , here, and here

You can read more of a synopsis of the movie here
again, the movie's website is here
read disucssion about the film at Indiewire.com

11 comments:

Jonas said...

I think I like you best when you express your virtuous outrage.

I happen to agree with your commentary.

Pamm said...

Ah...he likes 'em feisty, eh?

Summer said...

That is scary. I fear what the world will be like when these children are adults and in places of power.

Pamm said...

Hi and welcome here, Summer. Me, too. I get concerned about the whole army and "our way is the only way for everyone" thing.

Anonymous said...

Is it really a documentary?

You're right. This is frightening stuff.

Pamm said...

Yes, Kate, it is. A good, interesting one to watch, if you like scary films.

Thanks for stopping by!

I AM ANOTHER said...

Oh boy. My my. I can't even bring myself to read this blog right now. I will return for sure, but I've got to already know what you are going to say her. Fuck. Shit. Awful. Yes, by far the scariest movie I've ever seen too. I came home from a women's party last night and Jerry had it playing, about half way through. I was horrified. Shortly after I sat down the woman preacher is yelling at the kids that Harry Potter is not their friend, he is a warlock and an enemy of God and if we were in the times of the old testament he would be put to death. Kids sobbing and crying, full of shame. Poor little brainwashed babies having their induced altered states chanting about war. It just broke my heart. Nuts. Crazy, sicko, wacko. I plan on posting on this documentary too at some point. Oh my, oh my, oh my.

And praise the Lord that they went into Ted Haggard's church and showed him preaching and talking to the poor little kid they were grooming to be "child preacher".

It's a crazy world we live in.

Pamm said...

It surely is, Adrienne. When I told Morgan about this movie and that she should watch it, she said she never will...doesn't want that energy in her life.

Anonymous said...

A, arming the young souls for the coming Crusades. When Dubya slipped and mentioned that his illegal & deeply immoral adventure in Iraq was a Crusade, I knew right then we were in deep sh*t. One, it was clear that he had no diplomatic tact, and the good sense god gave eggplants. And 2, bloddy hell, no one remembers how the Crusades turned out, right? The West Lost! Jerusalem was lost to Christian pilgrims for the next, oh, 800 years!

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninth_Crusade]

But yeah, creating the perfect terrorists in the name of Jesus, well at least the old Popes would be so proud! Cheers, 'VJ'

Pamm said...

Yes, we do have the popes to thank, don't we, for giving us the barometer on how to fun foreigh affairs..sheesh...

Nice to find you here, VJ!!

Anonymous said...

while i appreciate that the makers of Jesus Camp let interviewees do all the talking, they were obviously selective about what they let into the final movie release; over all, there is some useful truth in this flick... as long as it's taken with a grain (or maybe a bucket) of salt