Saturday, May 5, 2007

Stumble It! - Del.icio.us - Digg - Technorati - Blinklist - Furl - Reddit!

The G Word


Christmas five years ago, my oldest daughter, Starla and I were in the kitchen. She looked at me and earnestly said: "Mom, I want you to start getting ready and preparing yourself emotionally because Kevin and I want to have a baby."

She knew I was going to have a difficult time identifying myself as "grandmother." Back then, I was subracting a year from my age every birthday. My kids got so used to it, they have no idea how old I am today.

One thing was sure, though, I didn't want to be hearing "Grandma" or any other other G words every day. The closest one that might possibly have worked was Grandee, which I guess is the Brit form. But my mom had used that one and I got superstitious about it (she died). We settled on Nona. Yes, it's the Italian word for Grandmother, but I don't speak the language it doesn't have the same associations for me.

So two years after that conversation in the kitchen, I was two years younger. On my birthday that year, I got to help Kailyb birth. I was the first person to touch his head (from the outside). He was born in my house on my bed and we've been tremendously bonded ever since.

Today, Kailyb is three and half (unlike me, he gets older every year). This morning we got to do our every Saturday ritual of Starla, he and I going to the Farmer's Market then getting coffee. Well, actually he gets pastry and water, we get coffee. Today after that all important food/drink portion of our ritual, Starla decided she wanted a 10 minute shoulder massage. I was happy to sit with Kailyb and hold him while she did.
I gave him butterfly kisses all over his sweet little neck and got to listen to him giggle, watch him close his eyes to feel. We were sitting in the sun, it's a glorious day and I really can't say that I could be any more blessed than to have been gifted with being a Grandmother.

Butterfly image from Wetcurcuit

4 comments:

Warrior said...

Is it not just so beautiful?
You could try the Irish form Mamo or the Corsican, Mina too if you wanted. Grandee however is definitely not brit, never heard it, my English sister in law uses Grandma.
Grand, meaning big great old impressive, grand mother.

Pamm said...

Hm...interesting on it not beinb Brit. Someone told me/I read it. Anyway...enough that I didn't feel comfortable with it, and I do like Nona.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

Pamm said...

Well, thanks..I will Baba. You, too.