Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Stumble It! - Del.icio.us - Digg - Technorati - Blinklist - Furl - Reddit!

Who's In Control??


I know that we, as parents, have to assume a position of authority. Our kids like to have the security of feeling that someone is in control. I have been blessed with kids who had their moments of challenge, but none of my kids has never gone off the deep end. None of them got so unruly or disrespectful that they got lost and out of control.

The experts might look at this and say that it was because of the way I disciplined them. Could be. I have my opinions about how to get kids to the point where they listen, especially when young (talked about here). It could be that by raising them the way I did, that they learned how to behave, got a sense of themselves, and didn't act out too much. But those same "experts" wouldn't agree with my parenting style...in fact the way I parented was quite contrary to most of what they suggest to parents to avoid the behavior they are trying to prevent.

After watching lots of kids and parents, I do notice certain styles that tend to result in more beneficial parent/kid relationships. But in the end, I have to say, that nothing that I've seen predetermines where a kid will end up. After watching kids and how their parents handled them, I discovered a secret. Now...even though I figured this out pretty early on, I never let on to my kids until they were much older. Why crack the illusion and make things harder for everyone? I think it vital to continue the status quo mindset.

SSSsssssssh.....be sure not to tell them...but....it's really the kids that are in control.

Why do I say that? Because we, as parents, can decide to punish. We can have time outs, spankings, talkings to, groundings, taking away priveleges, the whole thing. But if the kid doesn't decide to obey, doesn't decide that the consequences are enough to stop what they're going, it means nada. Ask any parent who's kid is out of control.

Scary isn't it?
Image from here
This post was featured in the Carnival Of Family Life

5 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Hi Pamm,

Wow, a lot of wisdom on this blog!

I'll have to come back soon and check it all out more thoroughly.

(And I'll try not to leave little empty packets of Splenda around messing up place).

Pamm said...

Why, thanks, Cranky...

I'll keep lurking around yours!

Warrior said...

But if the kid doesn't decide to obey, doesn't decide that the consequences are enough to stop what they're going, it means nada,
Shit sorry, just wanted to put in a serious thought provoking note. It only means nada if the parent can keep control of themeselves. I saw a lot of kids beaten in school. One time a father chased his son up the road and around the house with Broom. Ask many a parent whose kid is out of control they will tell you they know how to put manners on them. Sorry for being heavy.

Pamm said...

Warrior..and some of them will even resist that...just run away and disappear. In the end, it is the kid, in my opinion, who decides no matter how heavy it gets. The parents can beat them to a bloody pulp, and still if the kid says no, they are in control. This was my whole point. Hugs...

Warrior said...

YUK, .............

Yes you are correct.


Yuk

and hugs back ..